Centralizing a Startup Studio’s Resources: The Pros and Cons - Stanley Park Ventures

future-of-venture
foundry
startup

I’m always on the lookout for startup studio / foundry models and what people have learned.

The Stanley Park Ventures team here share how they work and some high level details from other studios.

I think the model is closely tied to the outcomes needed. Creating companies to go down a venture path, with independent entities from day 1, will lead to a certain structure. You need to understand the model and outcomes - models where companies only get formed / spun out when investment happens — which opens the door to revenue positive lines of business inside the studio — might get built very differently, including shared equity from the parent company.

I’ve had several great conversations around this recently so expect more on this as I take a stab at what a “collective” model looks like.

Subscribed to this thread!

It’s unfortunate comments are disabled on the original blog post. The hardest challenge with studios is “finding product owners” and equity ownership structures. Something missing from that post. I hope someone from that camp reads this comment and can shed some light on what’s worked and hasn’t.