Radical Markets - Harberger Tax

harberger-tax
patronage
collectables
radical-markets

This is fascinating!

Two great fundamental articles. I’m going to quote a whole monster bit from the middle because it’s so succinct and so super interesting:

Rare Patrons

Given these concepts/ideas, I want to propose a variant on the usage of radical markets that combines collectibles with such funding schemes. It works as follows:

• Every musician has a single patron seat.
  • Anyone can buy the patron seat (to become the singular patron & gain the privilege of being the patron).
  • Upon buying it they have to self-assess the value of this seat (being the patron).
  • During the tenure of being a patron, this patron has to pay a percentage fee (say 5%) of the self-assessed seat value per year as their patronage to the musician.
  • At any point in time, someone else can buy this patron seat at this self-assessed value, changing ownership.
  • Upon being “dethroned” as the rare patron for a specific musician, that patron earns a collectible “Post-Patron” badge, signifying that they were a patron at a certain point in history. They just join the “Patrons Club”.
  • They can choose to sell this collectible if they no longer want it.

This combines the game of being a patron, with curation & collecting. Some seats might become more valuable over time as others want to own the right to be the rare patron to a musician. During tenure as the rare patron, the musician earns revenue from this patron. After the tenure, the patron earns a collectible badge that is their proof of patronage. The musician can thus grant privileges to the rare patron & old patrons.

I love this. Would work for open source projects, too! Depending on what one wants, you might have more than one patron seat or tier. It’s both virtualizing AND commodifying sponsorship / patronage!

I realize that there are pieces of this I’ve been thinking about with #boriscoin – I’m heading into 100 “first” holders that I want to give out NFTs for.

Exactly what I was thinking. There is a also a chunk of this UJO article to do with content being creative commons but then if derived works are used for commercial purposes then they end up paying a “tithe” back into the commons which sounds very similar to the new breed of open source licenses which you have been so excited to see come to life, @boris.

Have you ever met Simon de la Rouviere in person, Boris? I know him from my time at ConsenSys.

He is a cool dude. And I should introduce him to Greg Weyl, as well, if he doesn’t already know him.

And hopefully we can ALL meet IRL at DEVCON4.

And Greg is here in Vancouver on October 4th.

Yeah I wasn’t sure if that was public yet. I need to invite Catriona the new ED of BC Blockchain here. She can help with that event.

Haven’t met Simon in person yet. Devcon is going to be a bit of a flurry of overload of IRL meetings.

It isn’t secret - just not fully organized yet.

He is speaking in some non-blockchain context to the economist people at UBC, and then we are trying to get another one, probably on that same day for blockchain kind of folks.

Fun fact - he has been working for Microsoft Research since 2014 and will be spending the rest of his time here at Microsoft with his colleagues and collaborators who are here. What a great job :slight_smile:

(Bob wonders who his Microsoft colleagues in Vancouver are and whether we should be talking to them!)

Principal Researcher - Research on how to expand the scope of the market beyond the traditional limits of property, democracy and borders.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/e-glen-weyl-7007957a/