Goal is to run some blockchain mining nodes (Dogecoin, Ravencoin), file sharing (IPFS), and mesh networking (RightMesh) and make it easy for people to get them setup and just plugged in their home or office.
We’ll do this “live” in Vancouver, but people elsewhere can follow along with instructions.
- Kick off meeting at DCTRL, day TBD
- Put up form to see who is interested in bulk buy
- Work on how-to / install steps for different nodes
Places to Buy in Canada
Buy A Pi, Ottawa
@boris: I reached out to Buy A Pi, and they will offer a 5 - 10% discount for low volume (30 - 50) bulk orders. Two likely kits are:
- $85CAD Raspberry Pi 3b+ Starter Kit https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry-pi-3-b-plus-starter-kit/
- $45CAD Raspberry Pi Zero W Budget Pack https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry-pi-zero-w-budget-pack/
RP Electronics, 4181 Dawson Street, Burnaby
@boris looks like they have kits and pieces available. 5% off for 25 or more. Kits:
- $80CAD Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit https://www.rpelectronics.com/83-16561rk-raspberry-pi-3-starter-kit.html
- $130CAD starter kit plus HDMI and Keyboard https://www.rpelectronics.com/83-16565rk.html
Lee’s Electronics, 4131 Fraser Street, Vancouver
@boris kits are here https://leeselectronic.com/en/category/2832-raspberry-pi-kits – prices are quite high, low stock
Mining with Raspberry Pi
Summary: MagiCoin or Storj seem to be ones that you can sort of mine. Running a full local node for other chains is still possible, even without mining.
IPFS on Raspberry Pi
Run Geth / Parity node on RPi
Ubuntu MATE OS
Debian-based installs for RPis
Allows for interactive installs.
- Swarm City