Status.im Intros Nimbus, a mobile Ethereum Sharding Client written in Nim

ethereum
status-im
mobile
nimbus

I had heard that Status was working on their own Ethereum node for mobile, and here’s some of the first news:

In order to advance the collective work on scaling Ethereum, we have been building our own client, called Nimbus, which has a particular focus on sharding. Nimbus is written in a language called Nim, which offers us various unique features capable of handling both the complex computations required, while ensuring they can still happen on resource-restricted devices.

Mobile and even embedded devices is a great goal:

designed Nimbus to perform well on IoT and personal mobile devices, including older smartphones with resource-restricted hardware. We also aim to make Nimbus extensible, configurable, and modular. A client designed to work well on mobile and embedded systems, that is modular enough to allow for rapid iteration and implementation of the research being done in terms of scaling will, we feel, advance greatly the goals of Ethereum as a decentralised ecosystem.

Nim is the programming language they are building in https://nim-lang.org/

Nim has a rapid development process, good performance, and a syntax very similar to Python (which is used by the Ethereum Foundation for research) which allows us to more easily port existing research.

I am very excited by the goals of the project — especially its focus on mobile:

Create a mobile first client (energy and compute efficiency) for the full Web3 stack: decentralized logic, decentralized storage, and decentralized messaging.

Accomplishing this as a set of SDK gives the possibility for an explosion of mobile dapps — I can’t wait to see progress here.

Lastly — besides just open sourcing — I would encourage the Status / Nimbus team to both contribute to and create specifications and standards so that others can build compatible implementations.